What it covers
This policy covers the treatment of personally identifiable information that Salisbury City Council collects when you are using the Wiltshire Council website, when you email us, or when you complete and submit an online form via our website.
Salisbury City Council holds and processes personal data in accordance with all current legislation relating to data protection and complies with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Information collection and use
You can visit our site and use many of the services without telling us who you are or giving us any personally identifiable information.
A cookie is a collection of information that some websites leave on your computer to identify you if you use or return to the site.
- The page localisation system - a cookie is used to store the last address you searched for. The data in this cookie is encrypted. This enables individual pages to show information that is localised to your address. We do not assign a name to the address. Pressing the "clear" button on the address selector form will clear the address data from this cookie. For extra security, the data stored can only be read by pages on the wiltshire.gov.uk domain.
- The homepage customisation system - a cookie is used to store where you have placed the widgets on your screen and which are viewable.
- The online mapping system - a cookie is used to store the last address you searched for. The data in this cookie is encrypted. This enables individual pages to show information that is localised to your address. We do not assign a name to the address. Pressing the "clear" button on the address selector form will clear the address data from this cookie.
- We are currently using some third-party software to allow us to survey a random selection of visitors. This software will leave a cookie on your site from socitm.govmetric.com. We use the data collected to find out about visitors' perceptions of our site, but specific information cannot be tracked back to a specific individual.
It is only when you complete a form that requests personal information or email Salisbury City Council that you can be identified. When completing forms you may be asked for a variety of personal information such as name, address, post code etc.
The Council also automatically receives and records information on server logs from your browser including your IP address and the page you requested.
The Council uses the information for:
- fulfilling your request for information or services
- as input to improving our site
- to inform you about improvements to our site
Information sharing and disclosure
Salisbury City Council will not sell or rent your personally identifiable information to anyone, or use the data for any other purpose incompatible with the purpose for which it was originally collected.
Salisbury City Council will only send personally identifiable information about you to other companies when we have your consent, or have a legal reason to do so. We may also use your information in response to subpoenas, court orders or other legal process. We will only hold your information for as long as necessary for these purposes.
Questions or suggestions